bristol channel winter cod..

karlyak
hi rob,cracking site and great info..
im looking to fish the bristol channel for cod in winter and looking for info on places to launch and what tides etc are best and safest to fish.You seem to fish it extremely well so if you dont mind sharing some of your wisdom it would be much appreciated.
cheers
karl.

Re: bristol channel winter cod..

Rob Appleby
Administrator
Hi Karl
where abouts are you located?. I fish a lot around Watchet and the Blue Anchor. There's an easy launch from the Blue Anchor slipway west of Watchet, you can happily launch and recover 3 hours either side of HW. There are other launch areas, though none as easy plus you're just about guaranteed to catch from there. Fish in and around the reef for conger, ray, whiting and cod. Avoid the bigger spring tides unless your confident with your anchoring techniques.

I normally fish a simple running ledger with a 2 hook pennel rig. For me the baits always have to be large, multiple squid, lashes of mackerel, etc.

I'll be fishing again come November so feel free to drop me a line nearer the time.
Site Administrator

Re: bristol channel winter cod..

karlyak
hi rob,many thanks for the reply..im based in shropshire but travelling not an issue as id make a week end of it.I will definately be intouch in time for november .
thanks again.
 karl