The ever evolving tankwell

Rob Appleby
Administrator
This post was updated on .
It's like anything else, you try something and it's ok. At a later date you find something more suited to the task so you upgrade... and upgrade. It's interesting to look back and see what worked, what didn't, what was ok, etc. Here's how my tankwell setup has changed over the past 4 years.

Above is the IMAX box & Flambeau box. The IMAX box was rubbish and corroded badly

The Yakmate was OK, though not cheap. Was a pain to wash, dry and re-pack gear post a trip.

The livewell & drybox combo. Only really used as a drybox to date, currently the 'perfect' solution for me.
Site Administrator
hoc

Re: The ever evolving tankwell

hoc
I have also been using that dry box you designed, Rob.  Manged to find the same pet food containers here in Canada and it really has been great.  I have just recently started switching from a kitchen-sink approach to a minimalist one.  I still use the dry box for overnight trips as it allows me that much more truly dry storage, but for day trips I have been leaving the tankwell empty, keeping my tackle in my Flambeau dry box behind the seat, and storing everything else in the rod pod (Using a trident 15).  I've put some velcro below-deck up under the gunnels which allows any number of dry tupperware contained to be stuffed up in there to hold various baits or keys and phone.  I found that on windy days the pet food dry box caused me some major weather cocking by having so much for the wind to grab on the stern.

Re: The ever evolving tankwell

Rob Appleby
Administrator
Using the velcro sounds interesting, any photos?

I understand what you mean about stonger winds catching the drybox. Is it when you're paddling that you are aware of it?, or whilst at anchor?. I'd probably not notice it whilst paddling as I automatically correct with some rudder input to suit the conditions. If I swing about at anchor due to wind I drop a drogue over the front on the kayak, pulls it back into the tide.
Site Administrator
hoc

Re: The ever evolving tankwell

hoc
Happens when paddling and I dont have a rudder on my Trident, that could be part of the problem but I'm not planning on adding one I don't think.  Here are some pics of the first velcro-box.  I've added three more since then and between those and a small dry bag with my first aid and spare ff batteries, I'm able to hit the water with almost nothing above-deck, which makes fishing in the surf and swells much more comfortable.

Re: The ever evolving tankwell

panpan2523
These are a fashionable choice and they are reusable also. Plastic bags are getting unexpected popularity in the daily life. These have been transformed, changed and diversified with several types to fulfill the different expectations of the customers. More frequently poly christian louboutin over knee boots sale are used and several improvements are made to the designs and materials. With the material polyethylene, bags have become to carry any object from light to heavy weight. These bags give extra storage space for bulky items and you can get then in different patterns.