Getting Started

Skoobie
Hi Rob
First off congratulations on your Yakattack appointment, and cracking blog.
Iam just getting started with kayak fishing, well am researching all the equipment i would need.
Having been a shore fisherman, be it from a rock , shore or even fly fishing for around 20 years, i have most of the equipment to do the fish catching bit, so in that department im confident, but the floating end of the spectrum, well lets say its a we bit fuzzy. As for kayak choice, i feel stability is my number one concern and weight capacity, beeing 6'1" and 17.7 stone, i will sink some of the kayaks on the market, (ok slight exageration) so a bigger, or higher load capacity kayak will be my choice, although a strong swimmer, taking a dip during winter in the Bristol Channel with a stong tide flowing, will test anybody's stamina, so doing things as safe as possible is paramount to me, getting the right kit for my needs before heading out. I would ideally like to go out with an experienced kayaker  or group to gain a better knowldge from more experienced yackers. Once i have all and sundry i will have a few practice paddles up my local water park which allow kayaks to launch for a fiver, just to get used to all, oh and of course to practice the dreaded dunking and re entry.  Have you any advice or do's or dont's that will help me get into what i percieve as a more interesting form of angling. I also welcome any input from this forum and its members.
Thanks for a already very informative and interesting blog.
Tight lines
Stu.

Re: Getting Started

Rob Appleby
Administrator
Hi Stu
I shore fished for over 30 years before I got the kayak fishing bug, I've not fished from the shore since

I'm using the Big Game which has a huge capacity and it extremely stable, it's popular with the larger Americans. That said I'm around 200lb and I would never be without it. Some folk say they're slow, they're not to be honest, very comparable with most other kayaks on the market. It's only as fast or slow as the paddler and his technique/fitness.

The tide can be strong in the Channe,l though I VERY rarely paddle against a tide. I always plan my trips to use the tide, why struggle?.

I'd certainly recommend practicing your re-entries in a pool or some quiet water. It's worth the effort, first time I practiced I struggled, it's all about technique and finding out what works best for you. There are often kayak meets on the Channel which would be worth joining until you get your confidence up. Avoid spring tides, etc, until your confident on your kayak with regards to stability, anchoring, etc.

It'd be worth you joining Anglers Afloat where there's plenty of advice and organised meets posted in the forum. What I would suggest is research, and lots of it!. You'll receive plenty of opinions, not always the best, so it's worth asking lots of questions and forming your own opinions over time.
Site Administrator

Re: Getting Started

Skoobie
Hi Rob
Thanks for your input, as you know ive joined anglers afloat and have already had a few questions answered.
Of course i will still participate in your forum its a great source of info.
Stu

Re: Getting Started

Rob Appleby
Administrator
That sounds good, always worth getting several different opinions.

This forum is more somewhere to post photos and the odd report, so when you get your kayak rigged and catch some fish we want to see them
Site Administrator