Fishing Portland

wickerman
Hello everybody,
Thank you to Rob with what looks like a great forum.
I am quite new to kayak fishing having only started in the summer and I am keen to know if anybody has fished at Portland in Dorset. I occasionally work at the new marina there and would like any tips. At the moment I fish mainly for bass in the solent around Gosport.
Many thanks.

Re: Fishing Portland

Rob Appleby
Administrator
Hi
thanks for joining. I've fished around the Solent quite a lot for bass, though not recently. I've fished Portland harbour once and there's plenty of wrasse to be had close in to the harbour walls. I'd also expect small pollack and the odd conger to make an appearance. The harbour attracts a lot of mackerel in the summer months. I've spoken to a few people reference fishing Portland Harbour, it apparently can be prolific for Bass, though it's a case of doing your research and putting the time in. I live in Gosport, though work away during the week. I'm always happy to chat fishing and kayaks over a coffee.
Site Administrator

Re: Fishing Portland

wickerman
Thank you Rob
A coffee and a chat sounds great, maybe at Haslar marina where I work when it suits you.
I paddle the harbour just for fitness in the winter  and will start fishing in earnest again around march.
Thanks again Dave

Re: Fishing Portland

Rob Appleby
Administrator